Skip to main content

HOW TO BE MODEST?? And about "MODESTY" || PIHUKUHU PITARA


Well, isn’t it said, “A great man is always willing to be little..” 

Little in a sense? modest.. The opposite of this word is boastfulness. Hah! You know, there are different types of boasters, one those who have a lot lot lot more than the general public and always show off. The other, who may have less than you but then too exaggerate things to such an extent that they make you visualise what they have in a dramatic manner (sometimes, they pretend as if they are living a castle life!). I, personally have seen these two kinds in my society. You can detect the former from his behaviour that he is a haughty and arrogant kinda person. On the other hand, the latter thinks that I keep boasting my fake identity and the person standing next to me is stupid and can’t identify me from how I talk, walk, wear or stand. I am the only intelligent person on this planet Earth!.... No wonder, these people make themselves a comic eyesore ‘cause usually people like me ask cross-questions to them making them entangled in their own talks!! But, why is the need to show off??.. Ever asked the question to yourself? Maybe, you’ve thought, this is because it impacts how the world addresses you. But why do you want to win praise for who you are not? Why can’t you just be yourself and show the people the “real you” and achieve your goals? Being modest doesn’t mean you shouldn’t have desires, or anything you should get deprived of your needs for living, or start living like a monk. It means that A-Z whatever you’re having, there’s actually no need to show-off other people unless you really have some important work. I remember a story my dad told me….

Once, Goa's  Ex-CM, Late Mr. Manohar Parekh was in the streets riding on his scooter (First example of how modest he was!) and a branded car from behind, struck his vehicle. A man came out of it flabbergasted in anger and started shouting. He asked, “Do you know who my dad is? He is the chief police officer of this area! I can jail you if I want, in the crime of riding clumsily on the streets, but I am kind enough to let you go, remember not to repeat again.” After listening all this, Mr. Manohar Parekh smiled, patted the boy’s shoulder gently, and told him politely “Go home and tell your dad that you have hit the vehicle of the CM of Goa today!” The boy was left astounded. Then Mr. Manohar went his way.

Now, What do you think you would have done if you were in this situation? Maybe you would have interrupted in between while the boy said “Do you know my dad?--” and you would have been like “Do you know me?” Hehee… and you would have had a nasty fight, because you know humans, no matter your post, if you succeed in raising the lava level of a person, he won't stop! (Though exceptions exist!!) . But modesty is always accompanied by politeness… Modesty is something that makes you stay grounded and comfortable with people around you even if you are very popular or at a high post. Now, the most important question of all, that maybe whooshing around your head, how to be modest? (Well, you can’t buy a “Modesty course”!! can you?) Umm... I would recommend different types people to learn to be simple in different ways. So first let’s categorize these people those who can give a try to be modest, shall we?

1) People who are modest, but don't know it. (They do not need to!)

2) People who want to be modest but can’t. (I will explain further how!!)

3) People who are showy every time.

So, First, let's start with number first! "People who are modest, but don't know about it"

When your friend is showing his new toy, and you get a feeling ‘wow that’s great!’ this is a sign of modesty. Hmm, you might be thinking, this can be maturity, right? But modesty and maturity are different. It is a fact that modesty may come after a certain age, but still there is no age for being modest. You can see modesty even in a child if his parents have high moral values. Like, when his parents buy him the latest version of the most popular toy among kids, he plans to share it with everyone rather than boasting himself, his parents or the toy itself. Maturity however, is different, because it allows you to make your own decisions (Usually according to your age and situation) and they may or may not be modest.

So, if you are in this field, congo!! You are modest! All you need to do is just keep this good work up. Teeny-weeny things that you need to keep in your mind are:

v Never expect the fruit of what you’ve done.

v Be kind and help people.

v Control your anger. (This is the main thing!!)

 

The second kind...."Who want to be modest, but can't"

Haha!! There are these types of people present around you too! The main obstacle in their way is that they cannot resist themselves. Take your friend’s new toy example, if your friend goes boasting and praising his toy and these kind of people are present there in your midst, they won’t be able to endure and bring their own best toy for showing just like your friend is doing. You know, the reason behind this is, competition and fame... If you are this kind, gain control over this attitude, and you can easily follow humility leading to modesty. But, remember, this is going to be tough. Yeah, I have experienced it ‘cause I was this category as well. (Well, I haven’t improved wholly, but till an extent of 70%!! I am still practicing..) The mantra which I used was, “Start giving, and be kind..” Now, I am not saying to give your possessions to people! Take an example of your home, your sister is asking you to give her your pen, because hers is not working. You might be thinking, Ah, come on! I am not that rude, I can easily give that to her!! But the twist comes when that’s your favourite pen, which you got on your birthday by your closest friend, it is very expensive and you have not given it to anyone in your house to write because you love it very much, and, No ink for this pen is available in the market, you need to buy a whole new pen to replace it. To rub salts on the wounds, this is the only pen in the house left. What would you do now? That’s where you learn to share.. The moment you realise that it is not an edible thing, my sister won’t eat it and it will get over someday, it’s just a thing for use, I can give it!! You will get over with the first step. Now, what if, it is really an edible thing? Say, you like it most, umm.. in my case, pizza! Yummy!! The situation is, you both got the same amount of slices to eat, your sis has finished eating her part, you are eating yours, lavishly. The little one is staring at that piece, hoping she would catch some luck. You love that pizza and you know that you get to eat it just once in a year, on your birthday (just suppose). You of course are not like older people, who get melted on the looks of these tiny tots..You are possessive and determined to eat that last piece all by yourself. But, just think, what if, you share it with your sis, imagine the smile on her face and the content feeling you’ll have (more than if you ate that piece all by yourself..) This is when you are modest. (Most people fail at this, so did I at the first attempt, but I am eagerly waiting for this to come again, I’ve developed some thinking skills now!)

Last kind but not the least!! "Showy people"

People who are showy all the time can be modest. You read it right, it seems impossible, but, anything is possible! How? See, first of all (if you are this category) you’ll need a lot of perseverance to end your ‘show-off nature’. You will have to burn the elements like thoughts “Hum hee hum hai, baaki paani kum hai!” [this means we are (or I am) the best and the rest people are losers], the competition and fame flame, there maybe the need you’ll have to learn to share their things to others, and so on....The procedure is same, but the strength taken is a lot, because, the height of “showing-off” is also a lot!! This will need a lot of hard work if you really wanna change, but at the end, you’ll be a changed personality, a better person with high thoughts..!

Courtesy: My mom and Dad.

Love to: My younger sis

Author: Pihukuhu Pitara

OC of Pihukuhu Pitara

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TRYING TO BE SOMEONE'S FAVOURITE, HANH?? || PIHUKUHU PITARA

So, have you experienced it yet? If yes, you may know all that I am going to tell further! ‘cause I did experience this once, which went as a “lesson” ending. (Have you read your English literature lessons?   But I am obviously not talking about those! It is, that I got a life-long lesson from what I did) If you want to be your teacher’s favourite, your mom’s pet, if you broke your friendship and wanna be best friends again by being her/his favourite, then definitely, this blog is for you! So let us start from the beginning!! When you try to be someone’s favourite, there are two possible outcomes; either he/she accepts you as his/her favourite, or not. But, no matter what, you are 100% determined to try! So before you attempt to try what are you going to try, ask yourself these: 1. Why do I want to be the favourite of____? (whomsoever) 2. What will I have to do? 3. Will my hard work pay off, or not? See, this happened with me so I answered all these questions.. ANS 1: I wan

AN IDEAL EDUCATION TO US; MY DREAM TO SEE..|| PIHUKUHU PITARA

Though I am just 12, I feel education system is not really “Ideal” for future generation; us. I mean the way teachers behave, teach, preach students is what they catch up in no time and believe this is what right and ‘ideal’ for me to do. And you know, this begins from a really very young age. (Hey, are you taking my words as a very “serious, studious, spectacle-wearing book worm who ponders over books whole day and talks like a philosopher? Then you judge me wrong! Read ahead!! You will come to understand how really I am! *By the way, I wear spectacles!!). (Back to my point!!) Taking an example, in junior KGs many teachers scold tiny totts for being wrong, I don’t mean scolding is wrong for correcting, but a child in KGs!! What does he know about this world, its wrong and rights, its been only five years since he has seen things, discovered ‘em! He is just learning alphabets!! Though exceptions remain, not all teachers are like that, but yes, a number of them exist. Okay, from thi